Boles Natatorium

A bulldozer moves dirt into a pile. Three men in suits stand in front of the doors to the natatorium.

Ewing T. Boles, Bud Wilkinson, and Thomas Spragens stand outside Boles Natatorium for the dedication ceremony of the Natatorium on April 27, 1968.

Five women in swimsuits form a circle under water.

The Coed Swim Ballet Team (later the Synchronized Swim Club) was organized by Coach Robert Gunkler shortly after the dedication of Boles Natatorium. 

Architects: Brock, Johnson and Romanowitz

Dates of constuction: 1966-1968

Cost: $432,000

The construction of Boles Natatorium began in July of 1966 and was completed in early 1968.

It was named for Mr. and Mrs. Ewing T. Boles. Ewing T. Boles class of 1916 and a native of Williamstown, Ky., was president, CEO, and chair of the board of The Ohio Company, one of the nation's first capital investment firms. He also served as chair of the Centre College Board of Trustees from 1964 to 1969.

Opened in February 1968, Boles Natatorium was the first swimming pool on the Centre College campus. Funded largely from a gift by Mr. and Mrs. Ewing T. Boles, Boles Natatorium was dedicated April 27, 1968, with Bud Wilkinson as the speaker. 

With the completion of the pool, Centre was able to have its first intercollegiate swimming and diving team in the fall of 1968.