Buildings and Campus

Title

Buildings and Campus

Description

Photographs of scenes and buildings on the Centre College campus, dating from the late nineteenth century to the 1960s.

Items in the Buildings and Campus Collection

Carnegie Library
Photograph of the exterior of Carnegie Library on the Centre College campus, circa 1930. Built in 1913 through a gift from Andrew Carnegie, Carnegie served as Centre's library until 1966.

Centre College aerial view, 1939
Aerial photograph of the Centre College campus taken by W. C. Alcock, October 28, 1939. Buildings that are visible include (l-r) the old Danville High School, Carnegie Library, Boyle-Humphrey Gymnasium, Old Main, Old Young, Fry House (upper right),…

Centre College campus, 1879
Collage of campus buildings that appeared in the May 29, 1879, issue of the Centre College Courant. Includes Old Main (bottom left), first Sayre Library (top), and Old Centre (bottom right).

Centre College campus, 1920
Undated photograph of the Centre College campus, circa 1920. Buildings are (l-r) Carnegie Library, Boyle-Humphrey Alumni Gymnasium, Old Main, and Old Young Science Hall.

Centre College campus winter scene
Photograph of a winter scene of the Centre College campus, circa 1895, taken from the First Presbyterian Church. Visible are Old Boyle-Humphrey Gymnasium, Old Main, and Breckinridge Hall.

Hillcrest House
Exterior view of Hillcrest House on the Centre College campus, circa 1930. Originally built as the college refectory, Hillcrest served as the home of Centre's presidents from 1831 until 1937. It was later used as a faculty and student residence and a…

Old Boyle-Humphrey Gymnasium
Exterior view of the north side of Old Boyle-Humphrey Gymnasium on the Centre College campus, circa 1900. The gymnasium opened in the fall of 1892. On April 1, 1912, the building burned, and was then completely demolished.

Old Boyle-Humphrey Gymnasium
Exterior view of Old Boyle-Humphrey Gymnasium on the Centre College campus, circa 1900. The gymnasium opened in the fall of 1892. On April 1, 1912, the building burned, and was then completely demolished.

Old Centre
Photograph of Old Centre on the Centre College campus, circa 1925. C6-H0 was painted on campus buildings by students following the football team's upset of Harvard in 1921.

Old Main
View of Old Main on the Centre College campus, circa 1930. To the left is Boyle-Humphrey Alumni Gymnasium.